Each of our Copy Editors are responsible for copyediting, proofreading and fact-checking internal and external jobs, to ensure 100 percent compliance with established editorial standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are fundamental duties that an individual who holds the position must perform. This is not an exhaustive list. Other duties, in addition to essential job functions, will be assigned in the discretion of management.
- Copyedits, proofreads and fact-checks internal and external jobs. (95%)
- Reviews and revises internal and external publications to ensure they are well written and logically structured.
- Proofreads and fact-checks publications to ensure they are grammatically correct and meet established style guidelines.
- Collaborates with editors, designers and client success managers to resolve discrepancies.
- Applies Stelter research, direct response results and insights to the decision-making process.
- Helps maintain the editorial archive to ensure compliance with current tax laws, rates and editorial style. (5%)
- Adheres to standard industry and Stelter style rules and journalistic practices.
- Follows all established SOPs; works within all established guidelines.
- Maintains records in Stelter systems as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent written English, including spelling and grammar
- Command of style rules associated with print and Web media and adherence to individual clients’ style when required
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines and juggling numerous responsibilities
- A love of and feel for language
- Superior communication skills and proven ability to collaborate well with others
- Proficiency using Macs, Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Office and a comfort with email editing and web editing programs
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communication-related or marketing-related field
- At least three years professional copyediting experience in the newspaper, magazine and/or content marketing field
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential duties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for an extended length of time. The employee should be able to lift 30 pounds or more.
- Spirit of Service
- Establishes personal credibility by adhering to Stelter’s 12 core values and beliefs; acts in line with those values; holds oneself accountable
- Demonstrates the highest level of integrity; can be trusted to do the right thing, no matter what the consequences
- Customer Service
- Provides exceptional customer service to internal and external Stelter Company employees
- Works courteously as a team player with all Stelter staff
- Communicates clearly and professionally with all staff by telephone, in writing and in person. Maintains records, electronic (Salesforce) and paper, of all pertinent information within established SOP guidelines
- Resolves problems professionally, efficiently, effectively, and with the utmost courtesy
- Manages difficult situations in calm, professional manner
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.